- It will be easy to choose the right spices, herbs, and food pairings with this handy list of what goes with what. I keep a printed copy taped to the inside of my spice cupboard for easy reference.
- Bitter Greens: Chicory, dandelion, radicchio, escarole, and endive. Season with garlic, olive oil, and bold vinegars. Pair with citrus fruit, hard boiled eggs, aged hard cheeses, and sweet, salty, or smoky meats, fish, and cheeses.
- Sweet Lettuces and Greens: Pea shoots, sunflower shoots, red and green butterhead, red and green romaine, red and green looseleaf lettuce, oak leaf, and mache. Season with fresh herbs, light oils, and sweet and light vinegars. Pair with mild cheeses, shallots, and fruit.
- Spicy Greens: Mustard, cress, sorrel, turnip greens. Season with bold oils, garlic, curry powder, minty herbs and bold spices such as cumin, rosemary, basil, and chile. Pair with cooked onions and smoky meats, fish, and cheeses.
- Sturdy Greens: Arugula, spinach, beet greens chard, kale, baby bok choy. Season with garlic, chile, herbs, and bold oils. Pair with butter, cream sauces, cheese, citrus fruits, and smoky meats and fish.
Pairing information taken from an older edition of Cooking Pleasures Magazine.
Salad green varieties from above image can be found on the Epicurious website .